Crabmeat and Corn Beignets
When most people think of beignets they think of those wonderful soft, pillow like pastries sprinkled with confectioners sugar, served at Cafe Du Monde in the Old French Quarter. This nineties adaptation takes the beignet to another level: the appetizer.
- 4 whole eggs
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 3 tablespoons Cajun seasoning mix (Paul Prudhomme Seafood Seasoning will do)
- 1/2 lb. fresh lump crab meat
- 4 large ears fresh corn cooked and cut from the cob
- 4 cups corn or vegetable oil
In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, flour, milk, baking powder, garlic and Cajun seasoning. Stir until a sticky batter forms. Fold in corn, crab meat, and scallions. In a heavy gauge pot, heat the oil on a high flame. When the oil is hot, drop golf ball size pieces of the batter into the pot. Cook until dark brown and no longer doughy in the center - approximately six to eight minutes. Serve with Spicy Sherry Remoulade Dipping Sauce (see recipe on previous page).