Guinness Irish Shepherd's Pie
Serves 4 - 6, 1 pie
40 min. / 20 min. prep
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 16 ounces ground beef or lamb
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3-4 large carrots, finely diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 bottle Guinness
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup stock
- 1 large quantity mashed potatoes (estimating 6 cups, fresh or leftover)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Grated parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Pre-heat oven to 400° F.
2. Sautee carrots in the olive oil until starting to get tender.
3. Add in the onions and sauté for a minute or two, and then add the meat.
4. Season with black pepper and thyme.
5. Cook until browned then drain fat.
6. Add the butter and peas.
7. Sprinkle with flour and stir through.
8. Add tomato paste, Guinness and Worcestershire sauce.
9. Let this reduce slightly then add the chicken stock. Allow to reduce down until you have thick meaty gravy. Season to your taste.
10. Remove from heat. Grease a 9 x 13” oven proof dish with butter and add the sauce.
11. Spoon or pipe the mashed potatoes over top. Brush with egg and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if using.
12. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the potato is nice and browned on top.
13. Serve as is or with some crusty bread to mop up that yummy sauce!